Friday, July 31, 2009

A Little Help!?

So a couple things.....

First, Ava is 9 months old now and has NO desire whatsoever to crawl. Not that I don't mind that she can't get into everything right now but she doesn't even try and cries when I try to help her out. I've just been putting her up on her hands and knees to help her get the feel of it but she either just cries or scoots her hands out so she is on her stomach, then rolls to her back. She is perfectly content to lay on her back or roll to get around. Anyone know of some things to help her learn? Am I just being paranoid and she'll eventually figure it out?

Second, everytime I get in the shower she has a MAJOR meltdown. This never used to be an issue. I would put her in her exersaucer by the bathroom door and shower and get ready and she was fine. Well, for the last two weeks it has been a different story. The second I step into the shower and close the curtain it is trauma. The first time she did it I jumped right out because I thought something might have bit her or she fell out but the minute I got out she was fine. So this continued until I finally just got out and picked her up. Well, I do have to shower, so I have just been letting her cry, and when I try to talk to her while I am in there she cries even harder. She seriously doesn't even cry this hard when she gets her shots! Is this just extreme separation anxiety? Am I going to scar her for life?

And to top it all of she is teething and it has been horrible! She has been teething for 3 weeks now and the dang things won't break through the skin! This mom stuff is tricky!

6 comments:

Heather and Trevor said...

I wish I could be of some help...all I know is that my nephew didn't want to crawl for a long time, but it happened after a while. So, it will happen...I just don't know if it matters when it happens. Ya know? But good luck! I hope you get some good advice!

em said...

Aiden would cry when I would shower. I just ended up taking him in with me or do it during nap time. I couldn't bear to hear him cry.
Some kids skip crawling all together and go straight to walking. I personally wouldn't want to be crawling around on my hands and knees either. Maybe start trying to help her walk. She may really like it and there are kids that walk this early.
Have you tried teething tabs? They are homeopathic and work miracles. Miracles I tell you...

Bekah Condie said...

Peyton went through a freak out stage when I showered...so I just took down the shower curtain so I had the clear liner and he could just see me. Yes it was awkward but he stopped crying and he won't remember it. Now I just shower before he wakes up. As far as crawling goes, don't sweat it. She'll figure it out when she's nice and ready, some kids just skip it (supposedly I did). Gotta love these first few years when they can't communicate their issues.

Lisa Carter said...

You are doing just fine. No kids are exactly the same, so what happens with one, may not happen with another. Ashton NEVER crawled. Everyone said that would make it hard to him to learn, but he is an extremely smart kid. He didn't even walk until he was 14 months, he just got everything he needed and didn't care.

The separation anxiety is hard, it lasts a little while. It's really hard on mom because it pulls your heart strings. She is beautiful, and smart, and she will be just fine, so will you.

Love ya,
Lisa

Amy said...

Don't worry too much. I know that is easier said than done. She is at the perfect age to have stranger anxiety and even more anxiety when when she see's mom disappear...it's okay let her cry it out. I think with your first they take a little more time doing things. They don't have older brothers or sisters to keep up with. Addie was slow on EVERYTHING and I freaked out too. I think she was 9 or 10 months before she started crawling...it will come...I Promise. And as far as the teeth? Mason has been trying to bust through all 4 vampire teeth for the last 6 weeks...and he has been a BEAR! It's easy to worry...but she will come along and then you will wonder why you ever worried...I know I have been there! You are a great mom...hang in there!

The Tripp's said...

ha ha your so cute Cami. Now bviously I don't have kids but I'll still give you my two cents. From the medical standpoint lots and lots of kids completely skip crawling and go straight to walking, and it is not detrimental at all. This screaming thing...hopefully it is just a phase. She is at the age when babies start to really trust mom and dad, so it may bother her when you shut the curtain, but I wouldn't worry to much. You are such a cute mom, you make me so excited to have some of my own.